Re: RC: Re: RE: RE: RE: Calling All LD Riders

I would love to see this added to the rules, that no horse under 60 months could
do more than one LD in a weekend (or however it would be phrased).  Granted, it
doesn't happen often but if it helps at all I think it would be a good thing.  I
brought this up at a meeting of the AHAO Distance committee, because for our
CTRs we had someone doing an open ride on Sat and then a 15-mile Novice the
next, on a 4-yr-old.  Nothing we could do since it was actually 2 rides.   I
brought it up at the meeting, to see if we could get our rules changed, but
since we also sanction rides that are AERC  sanctioned, and there is no
provision for it there, our hands were tied.  If AERC  were to adopt it, we
could too.
Again, it's a very vast minority who would even think of this, and obviously if
a horse does have problems the vet can pull them.  But it's the damage that's
not immediately obvious that it would be great to be able to prevent.  I'd hate
to see a limit placed on the number of LD rides that could be held
consecutively, since that would be "punishing" the riders and horses who were of
age and riding LD because of preference, age, injury, or whatever.  But limiting
the age to 60 months for consecutive days would solve the problem, the
occasional time it does arise.
Mickie