From: Becky Huffman [mailto:TOS@htcomp.net]
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2000 12:16 PM
To: Karen Webb; ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: Re: Horses 16 hands and over doing endurance

my horses are in the 14.3-15 hh range, so I don't know that I am qualified
to answer., but just to play devils advocate.

> horses?  And what I want to know is do they do well?  I noted that a 16.2
> hand half Arabian came in 65th at Tevis and Ruby, the 17 hand molly Mule,
> came in Top Ten

what were the heights of the other 63 finishers?  if they were under 16(?)
I'd say that 2 out of 63 is not the best odds.

I think that Susan G's research indicated that if the *total* body
*weight*(horse+tack+rider) (regardless of height) went over particular
number they saw increased incidence of lameness, (did I also read that
cannon bone circumference tended to be within a very small range, regardless
of height/weight of the horse)

and I'm sure we could generate some discussion regarding the generally
accepted information that while there were occasional individuals that were
over 15-15.1 hh, that the original Arabian types were relatively smaller
horses, in the 13.3 to 14.3 hh range, and that when you breed them taller,
many time (*NOT* always) you loose some of the other valuable
characteristics such as strength/density of bone (same bone spread over
longer distances) and that some angles (shoulder, etc.) can become
distorted.

Becky Huffman
Huffman's Arabians ~ The Original Series ~
http://www.htcomp.net/Huffman/
"Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to
cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind
is not as important as how we have lived." --Captain Jean-Luc Picard