Tying Up

Hi Sallie and Mattie,

Falon and I are working through a Tying Up episode also.  It occurred
about 10 days ago. Scary stuff!

Unlike your situation, we were not at a ride but rather doing some light
arena work.  Although we had competed about 10 days earlier, Falon had
basically been resting except for the long trailer ride from Utah to
California.  She was not getting grain but was eating her Utah Alfalfa
which is high in protein.  That has been her diet for 18 months and she
has never had a problem.

My reference materials defined the condition as follows:

"This condition often occurs in horses in good bodily condition after a
period of heavy exercise following several days rest on full rations.
Typically after 10 to 20 minutes work, the gait of the horse becomes
rolling.  If pushed the horse will eventually collapse but more often is
pulled up, quickly stiffens and cannot move.  The muscles of the back
and hindquarters feel hard and swollen."

Although Falon was not exercising heavily, she was in deep sand and it
was hot with high humidity (for us anyway).  She started sweating
(actually lathering) and in just a couple of minutes was soaked.  In the
few seconds it took to dismount, she went from trembling hind legs to
totally stiff. If this had happened on the trail, I doubt I could have
moved her at all for an extended period of time.

The blood tests were taken when we got home about three days later.  The
CPK was 3650 and the SGOT was 3240.  According to Susan's half life
information, the CPK drops quite rapidly while the SGOT/AST peaks later
and drops much more slowly.  Since the incident is very recent, we will
wait a while before retesting.

Like Mattie, Falon appears happy, comfortable and very normal. She does
not understand why we are not riding.  She meets me at the gate to the
farm and pouts when she is not ridden!

I got a lot of test scores that have no meaning to me and am missing
scores I expected after reading Susan's website CBC information. Unless
I am misinterpreting the labels, I have no PH, LDH, SE or any
electrolyte information on Calcium, sodium or potassium.  I would have
thought those scores might have given valuable information.  I noticed
you have a potassium level.

Perhaps our resident vets might suggest what tests would be helpful when
we retest in a few days?

Many Ridecampers shared their experiences privately.  Many have also had
repeat problems after very conservative and careful reconditioning.  It
certainly makes me nervous about taking Falon anywhere away from
civilization!  Our trails are very isolated here in Utah and I just keep
thinking about what might have happened if we had been out in our
mountains when she tied up.  Not a happy thought.

You might review Ridecamp for the last 10 days as many people responded
with valuable information after my post.

Good Luck and stay in touch on your treatment program,

Joane and Falon
Price, Utah