Safety of reins?

I've been reading about the horrible accidents that have happened to
people using solid reins, e.g. yacht braid, or looped reins that will
not break.  I've used yacht braid reins with a romal for several years
now and really like them, however, don't know if I need to change things
so that they COULD break.  My husband was thinking about attaching them
to the bridle by a loop of rawhide. Any thoughts on this subject?

Amber