Re: RC: Re: "infamous" ridecamp

In a message dated 8/21/00 9:37:01 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Tivers writes:

<< It is too much to hope that I will allow you to rewrite my words. However,
I'll take a hard look at the recent stuff and give a more specific response
when I've done so. Pablum is just as easy to detect in hard copy as it is
digitally.  >>

Don't flatter yourself, ti.  The only word of yours that I used was "pablum"
and I put it in quotes.  My response was to Jerry's post and was about the
discussion in general.  While I agree that there is plenty of "pablum" in EN,
there is also plenty on this list.  And while it is fine to call it that, it
has its place.  Not everyone starts out trying to be a rocket scientist--and
even rocket scientists started out in kindergarten at one point, even if they
have since forgotten it.  One has to start somewhere with the educational
process, and when beginners are still struggling with putting basic feed in
one end of the horse and shoveling what comes out the other, they often get
lost discussing CC's, VFA's, Se, Cr, Na, Cl, K, Ca, VO2max, and various other
aspects of the alphanumeric soup we flip around here.  It takes basic
building blocks to be able to grasp advanced concepts.  I certainly have my
beefs with EN from time to time, but I have no beef with it providing those
basic building blocks (or "pablum" if you will), since a great many of our
members are still in need of that.  EN does on occasion print things more
advanced, and there is also a wealth of discussion on the cutting edge in
other forums for those ready and able to partake.   Do I spend a lot of time
on those EN articles?  No, not past the point of ascertaining that this is
another basic building block.  But do I recommend them to newbies?  You
betcha.  Once they've had their "pablum," then they're ready for solid food.

Heidi