competing in easy boots

We are experimenting with going barefoot at home and using easy
boots in competition.  Just did a 50 mile endurance ride with two
boots behind, then a 50 mile CTR with boots all around.
Considering the varied surfaces in the Northeast, from hard roads
with round stones to muck up to the hocks, we were very
impressed.  Never lost a boot, no rubs and horses finished in great
shape.  The biggest problem is the initial fitting and then keeping
track of which boot goes with which horse on what foot.  Any
marking methods I have used up to this date wear or fall off.  Any
suggestions?
John and Sue Greenall
mailto:greenall@vermontel.net
http://www.vermontel.com/~greenall