Re: RC: Re: Dead/Alive -TEVIS RESCUE Part 2

In a message dated 8/11/00 11:49:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mtnriderII@webtv.net writes:

<<  I
 recommend that all of you who ride mountain trails get involved with
 your local BCH chapter and perhaps it would be interesting to inquire in
 to just how any rescue would be handled where you usually ride.  >>

This is the best suggestion I have seen come out of this thread.   RM's rely
heavily on volunteers.  As Angie put it, she would call Russell, her local
trail expert, so here we can support BCH or in the case of the SE our local
trail group, everybody wins!
By getting involved with our local trail group we are supporting trail issues
and tapping into a resource.
Our local forest did not  have an emergency plan, a local rider rode her
horse into the wrong part of the river and got stuck up to the belly in the
mud!   After numerous unanswered calls, she manged to get help from a group
of canoeist ( 12 to be exact!). Afterwards this person flamed away at
Forestry and anyone else she could get to listen. I made a call to a friend
of mine who is a firefighter/EMT/trail rider, she promptly worked with the
land manger to develop a rescue plan! Granted the land manger should have had
the plan implemented already, but the point is we turned it into a positive!
Hopefully Denises experience will be educating to all and maybe some more
people will get involved.

Jackie Baker