TEVIS DEAD/ ALIVE PART 2

debbie ekhaml Dekarab@home.com
I am constantly amazed by people who have never attended events but feel compelled to flame others who relate their experiences.
Thank goodness there only seems to be 2 or 3 regulars.  I DID ride Tevis 2000 and came upon Denise shortly after her unfortunate accident.  Her horse TRIPPED.  That doesn't mean he couldn't handle the trail.  All you people who have ridden horses that have never tripped especially during a 100, flame on.
I SAW the spot they went over.  This was a 2000' deep canyon with sheer dropoffs. Yeah, all you Monday Morning Quarterbacks, she should have just jumped right off and started looking for her boy. How do you know what kind of equipment was required? It is evident by some posts that some feel none was required.  What would your state of mind be if you had almost lost your life?  In unfamiliar territory?  With horses tearing by you?  With darkness falling?  There was no sounds or sight of the horse.  He was GONE.  We all presumed dead.  This attitude of, well Tevis is tough, so if you can't hang, too bad, is wrong.  That was basically the attitude my ride partner and I got from Ride Management when we tried to tell someone at Mighican Bluff what had happened.  I experienced that FIRST HAND.    How do you know she slept that night?  Because she had a motel room?  I don't know what some of you flamers do for a living, but $275.00 for a ride that is supposed to be a "high" caliber one is alot to me.  The other expenses associated with doing Tevis were substantial.  At least as much as some of these other horsey events that have emergency precautions in place.  Tevis is a glorified local ride. Period.  Yes, the trail is unreal and awesome.  It is equally dangerous.  If you are a first timer, you are on your own.  That holds true for any rider who is not a front runner as well.  There is no doubt in my mind, especially after what I experienced MYSELF (no heresay) that Denise did the best she could under the circumstances and based on what she was being told.  Whether you feel Ride Mangement should provide emergency provisions or not,  there were problems at Tevis this year that need to be seriously addressed.  My feeling, (based on the experience of PARTICIPATING) is when you have 259 riders in a race, whether you have a disclaimer or not, it is irresponsible to (at the very least)not inform people at the pre-ride meeting of what will or will not happen in this types of circumstance.  It is even more deplorable in a ride
held up on such a pedestal.  Tevis is a high profile ride and is only going to take an experience like this to make us all as a whole look bad.  I can't believe people who think the only emergency provisions should be for the riders! We should be insuring the same for our HORSES and OURSELVES!  Last but not least,  I have no idea how many miles these flamers have(if any)or if they have ridden Tevis, but putting someone down on top of their misfortune is heartless. Maybe you should stop typing for 60 seconds and reflect on how you would feel if you were in their shoes.  It's called the golden rule.  Man, I've dated myself now!  Hope all you youngsters know what it is.  Riding is much more productive than flaming (which is different than tactfully stating your opinion)so go out and do it!! Debbie (the outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man/woman)