NC50 The Final Chapter- long of course

Well riders  - and Randy, Here goes my comments.

As all have noted - OMNI did do the job, with a corrected time of 10:05,
and 10 min to spare.

First -
This was a great ride - really. The team Randy put together to mark
trail and the vets and the base camp  and MOST of the trail were just
what I expected.

I found good water in camp - after I noted the tanker water was not up
to my standards. I found the 1000 gal VC tanker with water from the Ft.
Great support from Randy and all the base camp support team before the
ride.

Carol (wife) was my only GREAT pit crew. As usual she had all the issues
covered. Hay at the VC, although there was plenty of grass. Food and
super fuel for me. Could not have done it without her support. She
managed me as well as OMNI.

Great ride site - lots of room to set up pens and let the horses stay
loose.
Good food at camp if you wanted it. WE brought a grocery store - so we
ate in all the time.

Since we finished- there is NO sour grapes here.
AND since I was there I think I can comment as I see it.

A little background on me:
I have been riding for 20 years. Done rides all over the east. 3 shots
at the OD100 - 80m/65m/ then the full 100. Done the OD50 6 times (6 for
6). Rode all over PA NY VA and in the SE.
OMNI who is really 9 not 8 - had 6 - 50 milers before this ride. NOT
many rock rides. I did NOT do the OD50 this year, because I thought it
would be "too hard" for him. HA

I am also NOT a wimp rider- just conservative,( only 7000 mile mixed
ECTRA CTR and AERC) that means ride slow take care of my horse and
finish - all in good order.

I KNEW this ride was going to be tougher then most. I expected I could
manage it OK , but I really thought OMNI was in over his ability. And
after I spoke with a few riders and the 100 milers, I KNEW we were in
too deep.

The trail was difficult to extreme, as in extreme sports, survivour
comes to mind.
The first 26 miles were just difficult but well within our ability. We
DID ride too slow on these loops. The plan was to save him for the
mountain. This cut back on my time to spend on the mountain. I ended up
in almost last out of VC2, rode out with Sue Grahl and Heather Scott,
both from CA and both hard tough riders. Sue pushed out on the up hill
and I never saw her again. Heather and I rode the last 26 miles
together.

THE CLIMB. This was the steepest longest rock climb I have ever done.
MUCH more then OD100. The rocks were rough - loose - but with a cool
head - they could be managed, had to have a smart thinking horse.
HOWEVER - we as a team - pulled this mountain in good order. He could
tail me up faster then I could keep up.
So the UP HILL  ops UP MOUNTAIN  - was not a major issue with me nor
him. He kept eating grass all the way up and on top. I don't think I
will ever do a climb like  that in ANY event here  in the east.

THE TOP - My error here - spent far too much time recovering from the
climb, went too slow and lost too much time here. When I finally started
to ride - over the smaller rocks - at a trot his HR was 125 to 130.
Could not belive that one. He just pushed on without me asking. The top,
while still up hill, was within our ability.

THE DOWNHILL ROCK PILE 4.5 mile - more or less.  I believe Bobbie
Liberman offered the correct analysis of this section.
 NOW this was the WORST trail I have ever seen- if I can call it that,
never been ridden before in competetion. I believe this trail of rock on
rolling rock to be dangerous, a hazard, a wreck in process, BUT no one
really wrecked. If I had known it was like this, I may not of tried, but
once your lot is cast - you give it your best. I don't how one could
safely RIDE this part - but I know many did, better rock horses then
mine. I lead down the whole way. I got up a few times when the rocks
were less, but it was still the meanest trail I have ever seen. Jim
Barnett from TN - who has ridden all over the US and SW and marked this
trail, told me before the ride- it was the worst he ever rode. His
advise was to be very careful.

I spent some time at home teaching OMNI how to work the rock downhills
on trails that I now know he can trot. He followed me at my pace did not
push - slowed when in trouble and let me work him though many very rough
spots. He never panicked or rushed. I cannot believe he made it down
that mountain with no damage.
We were running out of time by now.

We had 3 miles or so to VC3 -it was a about 3:30. Heather the hot shoe
from CA that she is - here record shows what she can do - said we had to
move it out fast. We trotted and cantered in on trail that  I slow
trotted and walked - on the way out. I felt he would be lame for sure.
Then what about recovery. His HR after all the last work was only at 120
to 130 at a fast trot and canter over rocks - or small pebbles compared
to what we just did- I had horse left -

VC3 13.5 miles. Upon arrival - I thought we were finished, I was getting
a bit trashed, both physically and mentally. I blew up and did a rant,
directed at no one at the VC, just the trail and my frustrations with
errors I made, going too slow from the start. Most of my rant was toward
Randy-- for that ONE section of trail - He was not there - but word
travels fast up there. NO apology offered then, after or now for WHAT I
said, only my rant which was not directed to anyone there , and I think
Randy as a ride mgr for years is use to rants from riders- and I don't
think I cussed- much. Carol took ahold of me at this time - "sit down -
shut up - eat - drink quit bit***ing - you did it yes? so shut up"  Sort
of been like that for many years. She is a great pit crew - took great
care of Omni -- and me.

However we cleared that check - I don't know- he was mostly all B. There
were 4 riders - The Bass team , Heather and me. We all vetted though
about the same time and we all left together. It was 4:45. There was NO
way we could do this. The Bass's (father-daugther MT region) left first
at a fast clip. They did not stay with us. Heather and I left.

THE REAL RACE. We had to ride - really ride-  Endurance racing at its
best, at then end - with used horses and riders. You have to see what
they are made of - look inside - go for it - and say a prayer. I was NOT
going to pull him after all we have been though. He was sound and in
good metabolic shape - ate and drank well at this VC - pee was clear,
etc, he wanted to go - once he figured it out we were going home - the
race began - we raced the clock - not riders. We trotted over trail I
normally walk - cantered over trail I would trot and GALLOPED over the
rest. FAST - I guess like the front runners. Wind whistling in the
helmet. About 7 miles out I felt we were not going to make it - going
way TOO fast, this was about as intense as the Rock Pile - Heather said
we had to try. If it was NOT for this very nice young lady I would not
have pushed this hard. She asked his HR - at a strong gallop- 145, "SO
what's wrong with your horse"  We picked it up. He hit around 160 a few
times on the up hill gallops before I could slow him down. I said we
rode like Billy The Kid - with Pat Garret on his tail.

My watch showed we had 10 minutes left at the (2.5 miles) culvert, it
was 5 minutes fast - ops. I think OMNI put it in rocket drive - the
carbs kicking in - the Bass riders were about 1/4 mile in front - he all
but closed the gap - I slowed him down to a canter. We were both worried
about a bust at the finish.
We crossed at 5:50  - that was 13.5 miles in 1:05 - last place overall
COULD NOT believe it. What a rush.
Gave OMNI a hug - pat, a bit of emotion - it was sweat on my face.
Gave Heather a hug, without here encouragement, we would not have
finished. I was very disappointed that she did not finish. Felix is some
tough horse - It was a risk.

Then Carol-  a long hug and kisses, who was taking Omni from me while I
got the time on my card.

FINISH. Took him over as soon as he hit 64, had to be 60, He dropped in
about 10 minutes, then came back up. He trotted uneven, about G1 or 2
RF. Tired but willing, not hazing to get him to trot, he just did his
job and followed me one more time. Metabolics all ok.

I still do not believe he did this, I had a dream last night - or call
it nightmare. We were on that crummy mountain.

This was a real adventure. I WOULD NOT ever go DOWN that rock pile
again. BUT I would ride there, and as I told Randy - I would go UP the
mountain and back the SAME trail 2 times before I would do the rocks.

My horse proved HE was a better horse then I expected. I under estimated
him. Which also means I under estimated MY ability to get him ready for
the toughest ride he may ever do.

This was a test of the horse as well as the rider. Which should not be
the purpose of the NC competetion. Riders who were not in good shape had
problems with this ride. The race should be for the horse, not to
measure the riders fitness.

As long as he stays sound, there is not many rides in the east that he
could not do.

I learned much about him, we really came together as team. He REALLY
trusted me.  I felt we bonded on this adventure. We became partners, I
think better then all the other horses I have competed. He nickers more
to me now, follows me around more. He was not hurt. He was off on Sat in
the am - but after a few walks and more ice and other stuff, by Sunday
he was moving almost like before. He unloaded at home - sound and full
of go, ran off at a trot then gallop around the pasture. He shows no ill
effects from the trip nor the race, and I WILL call this a race.

I fixed most of his previous problems. He ate drank peed pooped rested
camped etc - figured out how to take care of him self. The trip out was
as planned, the ride - while not 'as planned' we finished, the trip home
was as planned. I made a comment if the ride went as well as the trip
out- we were a sure thing.
 I thank Dr Jamie Kerr for all the EN articles on how to evaluate your
horse to prevent metabolic problems and to Susan Garlinghouse for her
articles in TB. ALso thanks to Dr Kathleen Crandel MS Ph.D. -who helped
me work though Omni's metabolic problems. His shoers, yes 2- Scott
Denman Marysville TN and Jaye Perry WEC Team Shoer Cumming GA.

Thanks to Randy and Carol Dee and Jerry and Diane Fruth, Roger???, Fred-
? Randy's brother, James Barnett, Dave Clinton and many other and last -
Susan and Don ( my prayers were with them that day)

Would I ride that same ride again- NO. Would I ride out in the SW - you
bet, of course if its Randy's Ride - I want a detailed review from the
PRE-RIDE.

It was such a emotional rush to be there. I have NEVER been in a
significant BIGGIE event. I have been to many - worked them. Never rode.
When I came over the rise into camp , I got a lump in the throat, same
thing I had in the 2 pre-rides and on race day. What an experience to be
there. I still get a bit choked-up when I think about this whole event,
sort of like after finishing the OD100  and mostly what my horse did.

For you who like to post more then ride, and flame the riders who
commented about this ride, if you were so great - you should have been
there- and showed us all how to do it. SO hit the delete key and go ride
- get ready for NEXT year in the EAST in KTY. Small mountains, small
rocks - BUT can you handle HEAT and HUMIDITY.

The ride was tough- more then it needed to be- for me anyway. Since I
did it, I can Bit*** (complain). Yes the 'completion award' could have
been nicer, but DON'T TOUCH my GLASS MUG, its priceless.

Congradulations to all
Roger Rittenhouse AERC 8263
OMNI '13th'MWT AERC NC 50  (one up for Coujar)

My posting would not be complete without giving thanks and witness to my
CHRISTIAN faith in GOD and HIS SON JESUS CHRIST. I asked that HIS will
be done, not mine. I asked HE protect my horse from ME and the world.
God does place a hedge around the flock. There is no way we could have
completed this seemly impossible task without HIS intervention. To
paraphrase ST. PAUL- we put on the armour, we stayed the course, we ran
the race. All during the trip out and during the race I kept focused on
the task at hand, I kept the goal in sight, I trusted in HIM - By HIS
GRACE we were protected - There were a few quick prayers at significant
times- such as going into the 'shadow of the canyon of rock'. And at the
end - gave thanks and prayer for deliverance. I trust my sermon is my
walk and that my race to eternity in heaven will be as this race. GOD
Bless AMEN