Re: saddle sores

> My horse has saddle sores, and is very   uncomfortable under saddle.  I am
> using a new saddle, but the sores still bother her.  I would appreciate
> hearing from anyone who has dealt with this.  I'm thinking I'll just Bute
her
> until they are better, or maybe just ride bareback!  HELP!!

Brookie,
You're kidding, right? I don't know whether to answer your post seriously or
not. So I will leave the explanations to the more patient ones on this list.
If you had painful sores made from a too tight bra digging into your body,
would you just take a few aspirin and continue wearing that bra while
jogging or horseback riding? Do you think the sores would go away if they
were being constantly abraded?
And have you not been privy to some of the discussions here on ride camp
about the deleterious effects of Bute? It is not something to be taken
lightly. Used judiciously, it is a tremendous help. Used frivolously, it can
do much damage to your horse.
Give your poor horse a break and don't ride her under saddle until you have
helped her to heal. Try putting some gall salve or Nolvasan  something
soothing and antiseptic on her sores and give her some time off to heal. Is
riding so darned important to you that you do not consider your horse's
discomfort?
This is my week for jumping the gun and being judgmental, but now I know why
I do not want to sell any of my horses to anyone unless I know how they care
for their horses. C'mon, Brookie, use your head (and your heart)...PULEESE
Pat Super