Re: Dead/Alive -TEVIS RESCUE Part 2

>With many injuries, speed in response is critical. We did have a rider
>in the
>SE die of a heart attack during the ride some years ago. He was riding
>along
>when it happened. The quicker the response to a heart attack the better.
>. I
>have found most local law enforcement and EMT units are very happy to
>work
>with you.
>
>Truman

The average age of endurance riders seems to be a bit higher than in other
disciplines (something I noticed from the get go! <g>)  Consequently I
always carry baby aspirin in my fanny pack at all times.  Years of working
with heart patients taught me that even young (35ish) people can have heart
attacks...and the combo of elevation, cold, and stress can precipitate
problems that you wouldn't encounter lying around on the warm beach.  If
anyone complains of chest pains, I can at least get the first line of
defense into them right away.

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm