Re: RC: Dead/Alive -TEVIS RESCUE Part 2

Lets move this discussion into general terms. In most cases such as this, a
series of unfortunate events/mistakes come together to create a bad
situation. Villifying any particular ride/management is counter productive.
In this sport horse emergencies & rider emergencies often go together. It is
a risk riders need to realize and accept. Yes, people and horses can die
doing this.
It isn't always practical to have an ambulance standing by at every ride. On
point to point rides you'd never even know where to have them stationed.
BUT, that is NO excuse for careless disregard for life once an emergency
occurs, just because we know the risk is there.
Ride management should have the information readily available as to where to
call for help. AND not hesitate to do so for fear of "bad" publicity. Ride
management should have trail information readily available so help can be
sent out.
When Monte was injured at a ride several years ago it took hours to find
someone who knew the trail well enough to go look for him in the dark. Yes,
it was other riders' crews who performed the arduous rescue. We will be
forever thankful to them, I hope they realize that.
It CAN happen to YOU. Most all ride managers and/or families ride too. When
you plan your ride think what you would want if it was your loved one out
there. Some day it might be.

Nancy Mitts