RE: RE: Weanling Needs Surgery--Hope he's gelded too!!

I think that another problem is that these poor colts are over-nutritioned.
I bet if their diets, and their dams diet, was a little leaner, they
wouldn't have crooked legs! My one and only planned foal was a filly being
fed all alfalfa, her dam was fed all alfalfa, and she came out of the chute
windswept.  Both stallion and dam have super straight legs.  I spoke to the
stallion owner and they said that their stallion produces quite a bit of
size
and it is important NOT to overfeed them.  They fed timothy and don't have
such problems with their get.  I didn't have control
over the diet at that point.  The filly is not mine now and her legs are a
lot
straighter.  But she's a broodmare so there's no way for me to really know
what long term effects are for starting out so crooked.   She just produced
a super nice straight legged foal bred to a Bey Shah son!

Maybe Susan G will pipe in here if she's not too busy getting to Swanton!

My gelding comes from the same place that fed all alfalfa.  He is tall,
tends
to have a club foot, but we just finished well in our second 50 miler last
weekend.  So I don't know if too rich of a diet growing up is a "death
sentence"
for a performance horse.  I tend to think not!  His hay is now 2/3 grass,
1/3 alfalfa, and is doing quite well and doesn't look like a cresty
quarterhorse
anymore like he did on all alfalfa.

Kathy