Start of a ride

What scares me about this is that the horse ends up trotting before he's
warmed up. At home I always walk the first 15 min. At a competition I
always walk 15, then walk and intermittent trot 15 until I'm sure he's
warmed up to avoid tie-ups. I have known a fellow endurance rider who
tied her mare up royally by lunging her at home.  So, do you walk them in
hand first?

As I said, do not run him around in circles.  Lunge at a walk first if you're worried about tie ups, then move to a trot.  Or, hand walk for a few minutes before starting to walk on the lunge line.  The point of the ground work is getting the horse focused on me and staying calm and attentive.
Betty