Arizona Rest Areas/Fines for Unloading Livestock?

Heather Watson watson1@gv.net
Can anyone verify the fine for unloading livestock at an Arizona
rest area?  We were told by a very angry service manager at the
Flagstaff rest area (heading toward New Mexico) that the fine
was $15,000 dollars.  Apparently there were signs posted when we
drove in, but we missed them.

Upon closer examination, I saw a small one-liner about not
unloading livestock in small print on one of the standard brown
signs listing rules (next to an area that says not to leave
trash).  The only sign I could find listing any fines was a $100 fine for defacing rocks.

I've been searching the internet for Arizona laws in rest areas,
but can't seem to find anything.  I'm curious to know if that was
indeed the real fine amount, or if he was just trying to scare us.

Coming from California, it never occurred to us that we couldn't
unload our horses.  Once we got into New Mexico, we asked each
rest area manager if it was OK, and they unanimously said yes.

Just thought I'd share the fine info to anyone else traveling
through Arizona with horses.  Came as quite a shock.

Thanks in advance.

-Heather