Re: RC: A Great Season Lost Without Helmet

Angie,

I admire you with your "Helmet Standards."  My ex, Joan Rash was having her
best season yet.  She and Mesha had entered five races and received three BCs
including The Biltmore 50.  She had qualified for the Nationals and was
training for the trip to NM.  Three weeks before she was to leave for the
Nationals, she and her "new best friend" decided to ride two green mules.
While we were together she always wore a helmet.  I mean we both learned the
sport together and a helmet was part of the required equipment just as a
saddle was.  Well, after our departure maybe vanity set in but she quit
wearing a helmet.  As they were riding on the way back from a leisurely ride,
they came up on some neighbors who had a dog.  The lady was holding the dog
and asked if she should hold the dog or if it was okay to let the dog loose.
He and she both agreed for the lady to let the dog loose.  Well, guess what,
the dog charged and the mules took off out of control.  Joan's mule stumbled
at a full gallop and she took a face first dive onto a gravel road.  Knowing
she wasn't wearing a helmet she put her hand in front of her to protect her
face and head.  I was called to the emergency room and the first question I
asked was if she was wearing a helmet.  Knowing what the answer would be, I
still went ballistic when I found out the answer.  We spent 12 hours in the
emergency room and then went straight to surgery for 7 hours.  She had over
40 stitches in her face and inside her mouth.  Broke the bone around her eye
socket, severed her tear duct and broke her wrist in three places which
required two permanent plates with a hinge.  She is out for the season and I
know her health is more important than "a season"!! and I thank God that she
was not hurt more and know accidents will happen but prevention is a must in
this sport!!!  People, wear a Hemet!!!!!!

Phil Rash