Update on Donte/new project horse

Ok, I'll TRY to keep this short(er)! Tough for me! Anyway,
Donte is on his 3rd week of stall rest/handwalking,
massage, etc. We have actually found that a completely
closed stall is not what is best for him. He is now in a
stall with a small run so he can see the mares who "wink"
at him through the fence. He's sooooo much happier! Anyway,
progree report is this: I purchased a microTENS unit from
Tom Ivers and then met with him and the owner of Windy
Ridge stables to learn how to use it! Got to see Donte's
legs on the thermography camera/video! VERY cool! After
only three 30-45 min. sessions I can see/feel a visible
difference in the lump or lesion of scar tissue above his
fetlock! It is smaller, softer and now when I massage it, I
can feel a small nodule inside that rolls around. Couldn't
feel it before, the lump was too hard. So it is progress,
which is more than what I had hoped for this soon. Still
trying to not get my hopes up, but with Tom Ivers, Dr. Foss
and Ron Wilson of Windy Ridge on our side, I think a decent
(if not more optomistic) recovery may be possible.
woooohooo!

Next: I have a VERY fat little project mare I am care
leasing for the summer. Gives me something to do besides
massage and ice a fetlock! She is 4 1/2 and a total doll.
We are going VERY slow, rode sunday, did about 4 miles in
2.5 hours. She's very brave and tries hard to please. My
first green horse!! Any suggestions on getting a fat horse
in shape, do tell! She is in a dry lot 20 out of 24 hours,
1 flake grass hay in am and 1 in pm. Vitamins in a cup of
beet pulp and water. The other 4 hours I let her out with
Classy who never stands still and they get to forage
through the fenced woods I have for a few blades of grass.
I will ride again this Friday and Sat. Still going slow. I
have lots of hills behind my house to work that fat off with!

=====
Heidi-aerc#M20935  /\_/\~