championship rides, hay, water, etc.

Cindy Collins ccollins@park6.k12.wy.us
Thank you for allowing me on as a guest.  I just want to
thank Bob Morris and Randy Eiland for saying what I've
been thinking for several years.  One of the reasons the
Big Horn ride has suffered is because the level of
"service" required by the new riders is beyond my
understanding.  I expect to be responsible for my horse and
myself...that includes making arrangements ahead of
time for hay, food, water, etc. at vet checks. That includes walking my horse down to the clear running stream for fresh water, if needed.  Buck Up!  That's why
people used to call ahead and arrange to pay for a crew
if they didn't have one.  Same thing with the toughness of
the trail...these little loop rides with rolling hills are great
and we need them, but that's not what makes a champion.
I expect a championship quality ride like the ROC, Big Horn, OD, Tevis, Swanton, etc. to have a 50% attrition rate...if
anyone could do it...who cares???  All the whining makes
me long for "the old days".  So, flame away!  As they say in the South...If you're not tough enough to run with the big dogs, stay on the porch with the puppies.  Congrats to the
winners.  Cindy Collins, AERC #176.