Re: helmet infomation needed

> Can any on you folks help me quickly?
>

> I have searched around the net and just can't much information regarding
head
> injuries and helmet use-beyond the American Academy of Pediatrics policy
> statement.......I need more.  Our local Junior riding club refuses to
require
> helmets for members and drill, and last month a girl who had been riding all
> her life, on a very well trained horse; had the horse put a foot through the
> reins, rear, and fall on her.  She hit her head, was unconscious for 20
> minutes and rushed to emergency. Luckily she made it, parents chewed out by
> doctor, but I doubt this group will have learned anything about it. I am
> hoping to use this opportunity to resent some info to the club.......
>
> Thanks, Karen

Hi Karen,
Check out these web sites.  The first one is for the American Medical
Equestrian Association which deals with all types of injuries related to
horses...but especially considers helmet usage.

http://www.law.utexas.edu/dawson/amea/amea.htm

The Washington State 4-H Council put out a video that talks about the
consequences of not using a helmet.  It's a "must watch" for all young
folk...all of my students are required to watch it whether they're adult or
youth.  Really gets the message across.

http://4h.wsu.edu/videter.html

Jessica gives a good review of the video on her web site plus she has
searchable archives by subject matter...and I know she's probably got a few
comments on helmets in her Horse-Sense Newsletter archives.  Definitely worth
checking out.

http://www.prairienet.org/jjahiel/bookshelf/132.htm

Actually, I checked.  Just go to her Horse-Sense Newsletter Archives, click on
Search and type in "helmet safety"...I got a lot of listings.

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm
Marysville, Wa.