NSC - I was there

One problem I REALLY have with ridecamp is the way that people find it so
easy to pass judgement on an event/incident when they weren't even there.

Well, I WAS at Fort Stanton last week.  And I've been involved in a number
of National Series Championships / Series National Championships / whatever
you want to call AERC's attempts to come up with some sort of "overall" type
of national championship over the last 10 years.  As I see it, the main
problem has been that AERC has never "stuck" with an idea long enough to
allow it to develop.  My personal preference would be a series of 3 rides of
50 and/or 100 miles done over a 3 month period at different locations to
decide upon a National Champion in each weight division (i.e., a person
could become the LW National Champion by doing well in a 50 and a couple of
100s or some other combination of the two).  However, the financial/time
obligations of this sort of competition are beyond the reach of much of the
AERC membership.  So the idea of one "head-to-head" competition seems to be
the most popular with the majority of AERC's members.  I appreciate that
AERC is trying it's best to respond to it's members desires.  Unfortunately,
every year the members seem to come up with a slightly different set of
expectations & AERC seems to always be struggling to "catch up".

At the moment, I don't feel the qualifications are such that "only
championship material" is allowed entry to the ride (I certainly don't feel
that my horse & I were 'championship material' when we started the ride  -
although I also feel I was smart enough to enter a ride of this caliber &
not embarress myself or my horse).  However, my understanding is that as the
ride grows, the requirements will become more strict: I believe this is a
good strategy for encouraging participation and eventually refining the ride
to be a true championship ride.

Perhaps the water wasn't pristine in camp - my horse had no problem drinking
from the tank I used.  Ride management did not provide hay at the away vet
check (vet checks 2 & 3 on the 50 mile ride), but there were vehicles
hauling personal supplies (including hay) to the vet check.  Also, there was
lots of grass on the trail and at the check.

Part of the reason that more "elaborate" awards were not given out at the
ride was that they will be awarded at the convention.  However, I can see
how riders might expect a bit more "glitter" considering the expense and
caliber of the ride: something for ride management to consider for future
events.

What I personally enjoyed about the ride was the chance to see old friends,
meet new friends, and experience a truly competitive trail.

See you in France (I'm crewing for the USA team!),

Susie Jones (AERC# 7997)
Rococco Mirado (Frightnin' Lightnin') (AERC #9016)
NSC 10th Featherweight
Miami, NM