Re: Trailer Stubbornness

> << Hello Riders,
>  I don't know about you all but sometimes my horse gets a case of trailer
>  stubbornness.He trailers really well, he just can be a bit stubborn
>  sometimes when it comes to getting in the trailer. But when he is in a
>  good mood he will load just fine. I have tried everything when he gets
>  in these "moods".  Can any of you pass on some advise? I would greatly
>  appreciate it.
>
>  Colleen K. & Polaris ( I'm  not gettin' in that trailer today.) >>

Hi Colleen,

I think, that once the horse is TRAINED properly to load and unload, then it
becomes mostly
the attitude of the handler........I guess since I am usually in a hurry, I
just march them right up
and in to the trailer with no hesitation.......if they do act like they will
balk I growl, "GET in that
trailer."  It does help, obviously to have a walk-in stock, but mine know
they have to load in whatever.
I find this attitude also runs over to aquaintences horses-I just take
hold-look them in the eye and
say pretty much -you WILL get in that trailer, and march them right on
in.....

IF you can get a friend to help, then have a long whip, and while you load
the horse, have them give the horse a light tap WHILE HE IS JUST THINKING OF
BALKING, not after he actually has.......

Other things that might help-make it a BAD thing (bad consequences), for the
horse to turn his head
away from the opening and barge into you (why do people let their horses do
this?)  Keep his head facing in.

Again, a lot of it comes down to your attitude.  (and of course, this means
once the horse is trained and knows what he is supposed to do).  If YOU are
scarier than the trailer, he will go in the trailer...........

The Sullivans (kindness camp for the young and clueless horses and BOOT CAMP
for the spoiled-rotten
ones we end up with)