Extraordinary horses [was Arabic Name Help]

This came off one of the Arab lists.  Every breed has something extraordinary to offer.  Lif

A young lady from Region 13, Erin Andrews from Dexter Michigan,  was named IAHA Youth of the Year and presented this speech at the recent IAHYA convention during Youth Nationals in Oklahoma.   I think this should be required reading for anyone  of any age who gets involved with Arabian horses!!!!!!!!!!!

"The first thing I want to say is how honored I feel to be up here today. Being awarded IAHA Youth of the Year is the greatest honor I've ever had.
Today I'm going to share a story about my experiences  with showing Arabians and reaching my goals.

When I first started riding, I began to compete at local open shows and in 4-H competitions.  I had a lot of fun during those years, but one thing
that I always wanted to do was show my mare, Letty, at Arab shows. Well, I got my chance and was able to go to some class A shows in Regions 13 and 14. In 1999, my final year as a junior exhibitor, I had a goal for myself and Letty. I really wanted to earn a Regional Top Five. I knew our best chance was going to be in Halter Showmanship. We had done pretty well in that class, winning a few blues and also placing high in very competitive classes at the 'A' shows.

When the time came for my Regional showmanship class at Region 14, I was all set. I had put together a new western outfit, and Letty was spotless and shining. I was extremely nervous, but still excited. The class was very long because there were so many horses in it. I could see my best friend Nancy and her dad up in the stands watching me. I could see all the people I knew and I wanted to make them proud.

We had a pretty good class and I thought I probably had a chance at making Top Five. But there were a lot of very nice horses and excellent handlers.  As the announcer called out numbers for Top Five, my number was not called. I looked at Letty and I could feel my eyes filling with tears. I thought I was going to be disappointed about not reaching my goal, but I wasn't. All of the sudden I remembered the first time I saw Letty, 5 years before. I remembered how beautiful she was to me. And when I looked at her in that Regional class, her beauty shone right through.

I remembered my first time on an Arabian horse, a very gentle gelding named Raftep. All I could think about was how far all of us had come. Letty was never considered a great show horse by anybody. She was never very special to anyone. But when I met her, I knew she could do it. And she took me a long way. In that moment, during that class, when I failed to reach my goal, I realized what was really important.

I asked myself... would I rather be holding the lead of a champion halter horse that would have won that class, or would I rather be showing Letty? I didn't have to think twice. Her dedication and willingness to work with me was worth more than any ribbon could be. I have always heard the saying that "the eyes are the doorway to the soul." When I looked into Letty's eyes, I could see straight into her soul, pure and full of love. I knew how much she loved and trusted me.

And that's what's so special about the Arabian. If you've ever bonded with one, truly bonded, you know what I mean. You know, that certain horse that taught you so much? The one who's mane you cried into when you were sad?  The one who could always make you feel better? You're soulmate? That's what Letty is for me.

I've never felt more proud to be a part of her life than at Region 14 when I did not take a Top Five. Every one of those people in the stands was proud of both Letty and me. It didn't matter to them what place we got, and that is the best feeling in the world. I learned a lesson that day, one that I will never forget. So, it is my objective to be a protector for all of our wonderful Arabians... the champions of the showring, the endurance race, but most of all, the champions of the heart."

Jan's note - For those of you who don't know about Erin, she is a sophomore at Michigan State going through all the life changes that being 19 brings.  she has a maturity that is beyond her years - I have only had the pleasure of "knowing" Erin through the internet but I have been so impressed with her thoughts on life.  My admiration went up even further when I learned that Erin is a congenital triple amputee - she has no legs and only one arm - but shows halter and showmanship in a wheelchair, and also competes under saddle - very competitively, according to judge Jan Decker.   When she mentions trust between horse and rider, she knows what she is talking about!  .  Her speech sure makes you sit back and examine your priorities, doesn't it?

Lif & Paul Strand
  STRAND ENTERPRISES fasterhorses.com
providing you with alternatives for your life
Web Page Design * Computer Graphics * Internet Research * Fine Art
Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options
Arabian Horses for Distance Riding
fax: (561) 594-4609