RE: Rider conditioning - plateau

Hi Amber - you have received good advice so far, but let me add to it.  I
have a MS in exercise Phys/Human Performance and although a bit rusty with
the most recent tech, the basics haven't changed much.

The info that you have received so far about heart rate and frequency and
intensity is accurate..... for cardiovascular conditioning. As you have
indicated that your interest is weight management, or more specifically fat
burning, then the factors are different.  Duration becomes your greatest
tool in succeeding at reducing your overall percentage of body fat...more on
that in a moment.  You need to find an intensity (speed) for walking (or
jogging if you are that fit) that you can maintain for 30 - 40 minutes
nonstop (more or less)...in this case more is actually better.  Since you
are out there being active for the sake of burning fat you might as well be
into your target heart rate range and get a training effect on your
cardiovascular system as well.

Generally (unless you are starting out at a very unfit stage) that means at
65% or slightly higher of your Max heart rate. The formula previously given
to you using the resting heart rate is more accurate in the sense of
adjusting for your fitness level as you go, but the simple check can be: 220
(which represents the average max heart rate for a human) - your age = your
estimated max heart rate, x .65 for the minimal intensity (framed in beats
per minute)known to have a training effect and then up to 85%(or your est.
max HR x .85) for the top end of your TARGET HEART RANGE based in beats per
minute.  Most of us can't sustain that intensity long enough to get a CV
effect let alone a fat burning effect, so "pace yourself".  I could go on,
but...back to the % of body fat.

In order to really have an accurate sense of the changes taking place in
your overall weight you need to have an idea of your starting % body fat vs
lean muscle mass rather than just your total body weight.  Stepping on the
scale only tells your overall weight...it does not tell you that you have
gained 5 lbs of muscle lost 5 lbs. of fat.  It may mislead you to think that
nothing has changed!?  If you your clothes fit differently or the pinch test
is not as humiliating, or the mirror is not as traumatic, those are positive
signs.  If you have a health club that can do a % body fat test for you,
remember that their real value is in measuring the changes you make (for the
better, hopefully) over time.  That is not an exact science by any means. So
consider the possibility that you may not be as plateaued as you think.

Bev Davison