Snaffle or what?

Some of you know that my husband has been looking for another horse.  I
have been calling to check on several for him.  This last one, the poor
man had just had heart surgery and could no longer ride, so he's selling
his 3 yr. old gelding, including all his tack.  The man didn't know much
about horses, including how to measure one.  So I explained how to
measure and he said he'd go out and do it right then.  I called him back
later.  Horse turned out to be almost 15 hands, so I continued to ask
questions.  The man actually told me that the horse "was rough as a cob"
at the trot and "pitched a little" at the canter!  Pretty honest man.
Then he went on to say that the horse had been ridden in a side pull,
but he thought he should have "something" in his mouth, so he put him in
a "snorkel!!"  I actually was able to finish the conversation and hang
up before bursting into laughter!  My husband called the man back to ask
more questions, and all of a sudden I noticed his face squewing up and
his eyes bugging out, so I whispered "Snorkel?"  He nodded his head
violently up and down, still trying to contain himself.  We both burst
into laughter when he hung up.

Amber