Re: RC: Louise Riedel

In a message dated 7/28/00 8:02:50 AM Pacific Daylight Time, CatThom2@aol.com
writes:

<< There was one piece of info that I think must be a misprint.  It
 says that in 1977 Louise & her horse Caprison held the record for the
fastest
 50-mile race in 2 hours and 29 minutes!!!!  Is this true?????? >>

There ARE a few documented 50's at this sort of speed--but conditions have to
be absolutely ideal.  Also, a few minutes were shaved off of times back in
that era because we had not yet adopted the gate-into-hold concept--so times
stopped immediately when you got to vet checks.  Even if you have a
super-recovering horse, by the time you cross the line and get to a PR crew,
it is usually at least a few minutes.  Given three vet checks on the average
50, you would have to add 10 or more minutes to that time to make it
comparable to contemporary times--usually more, because we had the entire
hold time to meet criteria in those days, so we made no effort to slow down
and be "down" when we came to checks.  I have seen Darla Westlake and RT
Muffin turn in a similar time, and my own personal best in that era was a
3:06 50 (only good for a second place...)  Yep, it is really cruising, but it
CAN be done given ideal weather, footing, etc.

Heidi