Re: hard keeper

"I have heard very good things about Ration Plus.  Anyone use it?  Any other miracle potions we can try?"

My mare was on the border of tooo thin and she had dimished gut sounds when I got her.  Before trying Ration Plus I had done a course of psyllium in case sand was the problem, and I had my mare on Pro Biotics.  Neither seemed to make her want to eat or helped gut sounds.  She would also not eat much sweetfeed, oats, or hay.  I used Ration Plus after my vet said it worked to help her get weight on her mule, and it worked for another client of hers.  Ration Plus really seemed to work for my mare.  I say seemed to work because I've been told that it really doesn't have any magic ingredients, and adding cider vinegar should do the same thing.  However, it worked for my horse and I would try it again for an underweight horse.  My mare started eating like a pig (you'd think she was eating for 3), her gut sounds became intense, and she put on weight.  You could hear her gut working while standing by her. :-)  I could not get her to eat cider vinegar - she would not touch beet pulp with even a little bitty bit in it.  One bottle of the stuff did the trick for her.

The mare now does well with 6 cups of beet pulp per day + 1 cup oil + small can of Equine Sr. + hay + grassy pasture.  She was feverish for a few days with her abscess and did not eat.  The extra weight sure pays off when your horse gets sick.

m (aka Michelle Rowe), CO