Re: RC: Mare vs Gelding?

> Yes give me a mare any day too. They aren't as easy to train as geldings
but
> once you work it out with them they are wonderful, caring horses to be
with.

I currently have 7 mares (one for sale).  They taught my kids to ride and
took care
of them; I have always just clicked with mares..........and have to admit
that for every
bad rap I hear mares given (nasty, pinning ears, squeally), I have seen
gelding equally bad.

> I've always owned mares. This current one I describe is my fourth. The
> gelding is my first gelding. He has a great personality but I know that
when
> I fall off him if I don't hold onto the reins he's gone gone gone.

Okay, here is my let-go-of-the reins story on Ashley the Arab
mare........some friends and I were riding out of a local trailhead, first
mile uphill with switchbacks. At the one gate, a friend who was riding
Ashley jumped off to open it. Before I could remind her NOT to let go of the
reins, she did (because this is our most docile mare)
Ashley spun around, and took off back down the switchbacks.  My friend was
fighting a cold, so I elected to jog after her, Rhodesian ridgeback right
with me.  I was sure the mare would stop at the trailers and snarf hay, but
when I got there no horse!  Which way did she go?  Down the road south
(towards home), or other way; that she had never been. Then, faintly, I
could hear clippy clop heading north. Darn.....so I start jogging north,
with a totaly confused Ridgeback who thought the ride was over and didn't
want to leave the trailers,  Okay, so leave the darn dog...............first
car to come along stopped and asked me if I had lost a horse and if I wanted
a ride to go get her...........well, I ALMOST did, but 3 men in the car,
REALLY scruffy looking.  So I passed.......second car came along and
stopped.........a really cute young guy in a suit-he looked safe. So he
turned back and gave me a ride up the road...........we went at least two
miles before we ran into the horse. Fortunately someone had run out their
driveway and caught her-cause she was heading out of the county fast as she
could!

That was the year we lost every horse on the trail, and every dog at least
once, but other stories.......

Karenl