Re: RC: RC: Mare vs Gelding?

Hi Sandy

Yes give me a mare any day too. They aren't as easy to train as geldings but
once you work it out with them they are wonderful, caring horses to be with.
I have a mare and a gelding and although I love my gelding a lot it's my
mare that I feel closest to. Also now that the worst of the training is over
I feel safer on her and much more part of a team.

My gelding can and does regularly deposit me, my mare hasn't dumped me in
over 2 years. She spooks, she shies, she rears, she bucks but never enough
to get rid of me. I can also walk and run with her and she doesn't tread on
me. In fact bless her when I'm walking ahead of her she nudges me every now
and then with her muzzle to check where I am. The gelding regularly treads
all over me - his mind is on other things.

My mare also knows how to take care of herself. Mares are programmed
biologically to look after themselves and their foal at foot. This is why
they frequently get a bad name for being difficult - they aren't difficult
they're just careful and have a mind of their own which they use.

I've always owned mares. This current one I describe is my fourth. The
gelding is my first gelding. He has a great personality but I know that when
I fall off him if I don't hold onto the reins he's gone gone gone.

Bye

Annette