Re: Re: Dogs at RIDES... small child attacked at OD 100

Marilyn,
Not true.  Doesn't happen anyway.  Our son was bitten by a friend's dog,
quite viciously.  Left terrible puncture wounds in his hands.  We reported
it to the sherrif's dept and health dept because we suspected the dog was
not up to date on shots and they blew it off (we knew of two prior bites by
that dog that went unreported because no one wanted to cause trouble).  They
told the deputy and health dept the dog was up to date...no proof.  Nothing
ever happened.  EVER.  Our corgi nipped the UPS man, totally unsuspected and
out of character for him.  He'd never bitten before and hasn't since.
Mostly got his pantleg.  Didn't even break the skin!  The man screamed like
an idiot.  I cleaned it for him and put a band aid on it.  Apologizing
profusely!   We were terrified this dog would be taken away and killed.  It
wasn't but the UPS guy showed his "wound" all over the countryside around
here and then took a vacation to recover.  We were prepared to take the dog
ourselves to the vet to be put to sleep rather than let him  be taken away.
It was a freak thing, no excuses.  He now lives in a kennel until we have
the courage to put him to sleep....he is our youngest daughter's dog.
Anyway, sorry to go on.  But I know from personal experience, that just
because there MIGHT be a law, doesn't mean it gets enforced.  We don't even
have animal control in this northern Michigan county!!

Maggie Mieske
Mieske's Silver Lining
McBain, MI
mmieske@netonecom.net