Re: RE: that Ferrier thing.

Thank God for friends!  However, he must not be a professional making a
living because $60 for that much work doesn't pay a mortgage, car insurance,
phone and utility bills or put food on the table.  Leaving shoes on a horse
for 3.5 months is NOT good practice.  Just because they STAY on doesn't mean
they SHOULD be on!  The shoes can start slipping inside the heels, they can
pinch your horse's feet, they can cause all kinds of problems.  We have some
folks who brag that their farrier puts the last set of shoes on in Sept and
by spring (following April) there is always at least one shoe left on.  A
good farrier should not be judged by how long his shoes stay on but by how
cleanly they come off if they do.  Part time farriers who undercut the
professional like this might be YOUR friend but they make it tough on the
professional trying to make a true living.  Many of our clients ARE our
friends but they can't all be.  P.S.  The word is "farrier" (as in fair)and
the pronunciation that you probably use (as do many others) and incorrectly
spelled (furrier not ferrier) is someone who processes furs.

Maggie Mieske
Mieske's Silver Lining
McBain, MI
mmieske@netonecom.net