thin horses

At my last ride there was an EXTREMELY thin horse who was
in the top ten and got BC for the 25 mile ride. Wouldn't
getting BC encourage this same rider to up that distance on
that horse, potentially putting that horse at risk?
Especially when you take into acct. what Susan's study
shows. When I say it was thin, I mean it was gaunt looking.
I have a slightly thin horse, he could stand to gain 50 -
100 lbs. but this is different. What are the vets outlooks
on "skinny" horses? Doesn't it contribute to the vet score
and overall judging? Curious!

=====
Heidi-aerc#M20935  /\_/\~