Re:overweight an issue? - Weight vs. lean mass

Yeah, yeah, yeah.....Weight is always a sensitive
issue, seems especially with women.  I would challenge
those who would criticize to a body composition test
to see how much lean mass they have vs. fat mass.
Many of us chubby's have more lean mass than the
lightweights have total mass.

I agree it's all in how we manage ourbodies and not
hinder our buddies.

The typical aging process for Americans is to gain
1.5# of fat/year and lose .5# lean/year.  So, the net
gain is 1#/year.  It takes a concerted effort to
thwart this aging feature and riding, cleaning corrals
and running with your buddy helps.

Then we can get into genetics........but I won't bore.
 Don't want to waste time on things we can't change.
Best to work out regularly and let the cynics and
snobs be who they are as reacting to them makes me a
cynic, too.....big waste of time.

The length of the trail must thin out the crowd
eventually, eh?

Happy riding, keep the focus,

She
--- superpat <superpat@gateway.net> wrote:

>  Carol kamikazearabs@hotmail.com  wrote:
> ............. By the way, Sandy, that was really
> rude what you wrote about
>  overweight people.
>
> This reminds me of a bru ha ha which was started
> when George Morris, top
>  jumper clinician who writes a column in Practical
> Horseman made the comment
>  something to the effect that it is the rider's
> responsibility to be as fit
> as possible to aid the horse. He mentioned weight as
> one of the factors to
> consider. For months following that comment, there
> was a flurry of letters
>  to the editor about the cruel and rude statements
> made by George Morris.
> The
>  bottom line, I think, was that George was only
> calling it as he saw it. And
> who can dispute the fact that weight *is* one factor
> to be considered when
> talking about challenging our horses to go the extra
> mile. Lord knows I
> would like to lose a few pounds and can appreciate
> how difficult it is, but
>  that does not change the reality that is. Of
> course, it also helps to learn
> to be a light rider, no matter your weight. Sandy
> did not name anyone in
> particular but "if the shoe fits, wear it". If that
> is rude, so be it.
>  But I don't see it that way. Truth is still truth,
> no matter who may read
> it.
>  Pat Super

> Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net,