Re: Endurance and Dressage

My horse does dressage/eventing and endurance (just starting in both
sports).  It's good for their brain to have variety in their work.  I use
different tack for dressage and trail work (same bit though, a french link
snaffle), but my horse knows the difference by how I ride.  Out on the trail
I ride on a loose rein (except at the start of a ride, hehe) and let her
pick her own way (I choose the pace).  For dressage she has to bend and flex
and work on the bit.  She's young and green and just beginning to learn this
and we've had several discussions about unlocking those tight jaw and neck
muscles, but she's improving all the time.  We've been to one event so far,
baby novice level (18" fences, walk/trot dressage test) and she did really
well.  We've done one 50 so far, completed in 8 hours in excellent
condition.  Endurance and dressage/eventing are very compatible, in fact I
believe doing both improves both.  My horse sure is a lot more fit than the
others I saw at the event (to be fair, consider the level).  Hehe.  Dressage
has taught her how to use her back and rear end which is essential on the
trail.  I like showing dressage because even though it can be political I go
mostly for the scores/judges comments so even if I don't place I still get
my money's worth to have an outsider's opinion of my ride.  I ride a Quarter
Horse so her movement is, shall we say, less than brilliant. :)  Not the
usual breed for endurance either, I guess I like to go against the flow.

SusanB