Re: RC: balking horse

In a message dated 7/24/00 1:11:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
trinity_oaks@yahoo.com writes:

I have a horse with a similar mind set.  In my case, I bought the horse (a
nine year old gelding, Arab) last fall who had only 60 days of riding.  He is
a real sweetheart and very cute,  and had been well started and obviously
handled a lot, but had never been asked to do anything like the work I was
introducing to him.
 He started getting a little balky when I would turn him through a gate going
away from home, but a good kick in the ribs usually did the trick, or zig
zaging to untrack him. Then he tried a few crow hops (he actually bucked off
my daughter once), but since my Paint has taught me how to ride out
unexpected, extra curricular activities, he was no match for the death grip
my legs now have.  Finally, he thought he'd try simply refusing to go forward
no matter what I did to untrack him (except of coarse when his cute little
nose was pointed toward home). We had only gone maybe 1/2 mile from the barn
when he suddenly felt like a glass wall was in front of him and no way was he
going through it. When nothing worked, circling, etc. (we were on a steep
downhill) and he was getting way to light in the front end, I finally got off
and as a friend put it so well, 'we had a prayer meeting'. This prayer
meeting took about 15 minutes, he discovered he wasn't as fit as he thought
he was, nor was he nearly so frightened of the passing honking vehicles (we
were in a pasture next to the road), and I (God) wasn't going back.  Got back
on when he decided to look at me again and went on our way - until - we
approached a dry creek just before getting to a gate that leads to the back
of the farm. He has been reluctant here before, but now he stopped again, the
same glass wall. So off I got again for another 'prayer meeting'. Again, it
took about 15 min. for him to quit gazing at the horses in the next pasture
and at the cows going to water. Got back on again when he was looking to God
for relief. Walked right up to the gate without a problem and worked
wonderfully from then on, another six or so miles.
I have to say though, that I'm thinking I probably made a mistake of rushing
his work some.  I haven't given him enough time to just realize that work is
fun, not just go, go, go. I took plenty of time with my young Paint and he
loves to go out, at least after the first slow mile.<g> He (the Paint) now
knows that the faster he gets to go the faster he is back at the barn. With
the Paint, I took my time, did lots of walking, getting off to pick
blackberries, letting him graze after a hard work at the back of the farm,
stopping to talk to neighbors, that sort of thing. Which might work for your
young horse?  Make it fun rather than just work, work, work.  Make being away
from the barn as or more pleasant than being back at the barn. Treats can
help here too.
Now, the day after our 'prayer meetings' ride I hauled him to our 'real
trails' training grounds and put 9/10 miles on him with a couple of friends.
He'd only been here once before. He was SO good. He was happy in the middle,
in the back, and even in the scary front. Lead the pack well, trusted me when
I asked him to trot on by those horse eating black stumps and was a dream to
guide off trail where trees were down. Only had to get off once at a spook,
(no prayer meeting here) just encouragement and off we went as a happy
couple.<g>
Having said all that, I'm sure he will try again when he feels he's being
abused, but hopefully the worst is over and we can get on with the fun.
Good luck with your buddy..

Jan & Jack- "but, but, I thought I was just a 'Living work of Art'.

<< Subj:     RC:  balking horse