Re: mules

Hi there you old timer you!!! At 17 you could be doing alot worse than
starting endurance riding.  Its a blast.  The kind of sport where doing a
"personal best" is a way of life.  As far as mules go,  I ride a 17hh molly
mule.  There are more and more mules showing up in distance riding.  My mule
Ms. Clovis has 1,000+ miles on her so far.  She has top tenned at least 1/3
of her rides.  She placed 5th in PS region middle weight this year.  There
are several good distance mules competeing out there.  A mule has won
Presidents Cup (or whatever they call it now) in NATRC/competetive trail
riding several times.  That is the highest award attainable in NATRC.  I
believe that there have been mules placing nationally in AERC also.  I think
the high point heavy weight rider rode one a few years back.  The best cross
for a mule really doesnt have anything to do with breed.  The mare should be
of good confirmation and great temperment.  I stress the great temperment
part.  If you want to choose a breed best suited to get a mule of substance
and usability your best bet would be a quarter horse, morgan, appaloosa and
sometimes an arab or arab cross.   Mustangs also cross well with a jack.
Try to stay away from the nervous type breeds.  Yes this does include some
arabs.  Sorry if I'm insulting any one.  I have an appy mule for sale right
now.  His full sister is a national champ. and several of his 1/2 siblings
are world champs in performance.  He is coming 3 this spring.  He is 15.2 as
I am typing this.  He may be taller tomorrow!!  I can send a photo of him if
you would like to see it.  He is really an awsome mover.  I have a photo of
him that Lynne Glazer took, he is in an exteded trot and all 4 feet are off
the ground.   Ok,  Im getting too windy now.  Later.
                gesa n clovis