Re: RC: horse jobs

I went to one of the best colleges in the nation to please
my folks. When I graduated, I did what I wanted to do: work
with horses.  I worked hack stables, big time hunter
stables, graduated (?) to race tracks, gave lessons..the
whole nine yards.  Yes, it was fun. I rode a LOT, I showed a
LOT, I fox-hunted, did dressage, jumped,
cross-country..everything they do on the east coast.  I met
a rider who did CTR and got hooked (back then endurance was
hardly known).

I struggled and starved, begged and worked many jobs, but I
had fun.  I LEARNED to be a horsewoman (to me a REAL
horsewoman) as I lived horses.  It was like running away to
the circus.  It did that for ten years then finally "got
smart" and decided to use my education.

That did not last long.  It was during the recession.  I got
laid off and companies closed.  I hated the "corporate"
life.  So I started my own "horse business". I starved the
first ten years but loved it.  It was my way of being able
to make a living and stay with the horses and the sport I
loved.

I never had a decent place to live (my horses lived better
than I). I was so involved with horses, I learned nothing
about the real world.  I kind of liked it that way (and
still do). But it is a MUCH harder life.

If I had it to do over again knowing what I know, I would
have horses on the side and learn them more slowly while
learning more about how to make a better living FIRST.

They say you cannot teach an old dog new tricks, but I'll
tell you, with horses you are never too old..the horses will
keep on teaching you.

--
Teddy Lancaster
American Endurance Ride Conference # 139422

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak;
Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

-- Winston Churchill

Running Bear Farm, Inc.
Your Trail Riding Equipment Headquarters - Celebrating our
20th Anniversary!!!!
Teddy Lancaster, President
1348 Township Road 256
Kitts Hill, Ohio, 45645 USA  -  http://runningbear.com/
Webmaster for USA East website: http://usa-east.org/
Moderator for the USA EAST mailing list:

http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/USAEAST
1-800-533-2327, FAX: 740-533-0337
Home of Khalarado+/ 1990 IAHA National Endurance Champion
- (1982 Chestnut CMK Stallion)
Supplying the WORLD with quality endurance equipment since
1980