Re: RC: horse jobs

In a message dated 1/21/00 11:12:33 PM Pacific Standard Time,
woa@stormnet.com writes:

<< I personally do not know of
 anyone in the business who does not supplement their breeding business
 with outside income. Am I wrong here, breeders? >>

No, you are right on.  It's nice when the horses offset a good portion of
their expenses, but "breeding" is a life-long commitment to a program, not a
way to make a living.  There are some folks who I call "producers" rather
than "breeders," and if they are lucky and follow the fads, sometimes they
make a profit.  But fads change, and then they are stuck "dumping" what they
have--sometimes a difficult task when horses were produced simply because
they were the grandget of "Ibn Famous" and not because anyone paid any
attention to their innate qualities.

My advice?  Make money doing something else.  If you are sufficiently
talented to eventually make money with horses, that's nice, but don't bet on
it.

Heidi