Re: dogfighting on MTV

As the owner of an American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT), I have to respond
to this post.  I have already written Mtv with a complaint, and an
appeal to pull the video from their rotation.  I urge all of you to do
the same.

     I face prejudice and fear every time I take my dog for a walk.  If I
     happen to stray too near a heavily populated park, Mommas grab their
     children and scramble.  Park officials swarm me, checking the strength
     of my leash and harness.  In some cities, I need a permit **to drive
     through on the interstate with my dog in the car**.  I am not allowed
     to even enter the limits of other major cities.

     My dog is not a killer.  My dog has never been fought.  Most "Pit
     Bulls" are the most docile, loving creatures on earth.  The dogs that
     most people refer to as "Pit Bulls" are, in fact, hardly related to
     the American Pit Bull Terrier and are generally some sort of mixed
     breed.  I suspect that to be the case in the incident related in the
     original post below.  Most animal control officers (who say what breed
     did what) have not been trained to recognize a true Pit, and probably
     wouldn't know one if it, ahem, bit him.  :)  I'm not saying that those
     dogs couldn't be Pits, just that it's unlikely.

     All large protection dogs come under attack at one time or another.
     Pit Bulls are just the dog du jour.  Like horses, the owner dictates
     the disposition of the dog.

     Pit Bulls were bred for fighting.  That was their job, just as the
     Jack Russel Terrier was bred for going after small game.  In
     domestication, the lack of their jobs creates problems for both of
     these breeds.  However, given another job, they are happy.

     If you are curious about them, there is an excellent internet FAQ that
     covers everything from where they came from, to how they were fought,
     to what people are doing with them now.  It can be found at:
     http://www.nyx.net/~mbur/apbtfaqpre.html

     And if you'd like to see a Pit at home, visit mine, Tiger, at:
     http://kenzie_k.tripod.com/tiger.html

     Thanks for letting me ramble.  At one time, Pit Bulls were the height
     of fashion for the upper and middle classes.  Know what started the
     trend?  Every child in America wanted "Petey" from The Little Rascals.
     Petey was a registered APBT.

     Kenzie & Zane
     Birmingham, AL
     http://kenzie_k.tripod.com/zane.html