RC: Horses & Pigs, Oh My!

Warning - pointless story here.  Delete now if not interested.

I guess I never learn...  OR   My come back ride today...

Two weeks ago I tore some muscles in  my back & shoulders when I fell
from my green broke 4 y.o. gelding.  (Monster in the bushes that wasn't
there the last three times by it.)  The Doc I eventually saw is a rider
herself.  She suggested 2 weeks off, then light riding on a more
reliable horse for a month or so.  "Cool!", I thought.  An enlightened
doctor!

Since Razz is a pasture potato for 6 weeks, I waited patiently for this
weekend to come.  I'm off the muscle relaxers, anti-inflammatories, and
pain killers...  I decide to take out the <cleanest> horse I come across
in the field since it has thawed just enough for mud.  :-)  Major
wins... black, 15.2H 18 year old ex-endurance horse who has "been there,
done that" (fox hunting, endurance, CTR, hunter-jumper, dressage).

We tack up & we're off.  Some high winds & ice over the last two weeks
have blocked our trails with small downed trees, but good old Major side
passes right up & I either lift them clear or saw them while mounted.
Good boy!  It's cold & windy, so he feels pretty perky!  More like an 8
yo than an 18 yo!  As we trot down the side of a good hill amongst the
trees, we come upon a HUGE stump & a downed tree.  Suddenly, an ENORMOUS
Arkansas Razorback Hog comes out at us making horrible grunting
noises!!!!!  (Our neighbor keeps them, but this one seems to have found
a way out.)  Major HATES pigs, never mind ones that masquerade as
stumps!  "I haven't been there & I DON'T do that!!!!"

Spin, run, Linda hangs on to his side for dear life, picturing a lost
horse & more torn muscles.  After about a 1/4 mile clinging like a tick
on his side as we pass the trees & rocks, I manage to get upright & turn
him.  We <cautiously> finish the rest of our "easy" 3 mile loop.  My
back hurts again.  So much for light riding.  Fortunately, no more Mr.
Piggy.

We make it home to find my husband (Major's person) waiting on us.
Bless him, he has a warm mash ready for Major and a hot spiced apple
cider with a shot of brandy for me.  How did he know?  Times like this
makes marriage all worthwhile.

Back on the meds for me for another few weeks.  :-(   If it isn't the
horse then it's me that's lame lately.

Linda