RC: Re: Stallion behavior

Heidi is so right about a good alpha horse!!!  I've
had as many as 16 horses in a large field together
(mixed sex mares/geldings/weanling-2 year old colts)
and they towed the line with a strong alpha mare.
Much of the bickering is in trying to impress the
"other guy" that you're a notch higher than him.  A
good alpha will settle that - "I'm number 1 - all the
rest of you are #2!"  (pun intended)

We now keep a bachelor gelding band of 3 on 10 acres.
Our oldest gelding, Major (the one of the recent pig
fame) is alpha.  Nobody bothers him, and he doesn't
bother anyone except for an occasional dirty glance if
he wants someone to stop sharing HIS hay pile.

Of the other two geldings, Razz is a 4 yo that was
introduced in August.  Rocket is a 14 yo who we've had
for many years.  They keep exchanging for #2 & #3
positions.  There's lots of picking on each other
until Major steps in.  It's as though the school
teacher laid down the law to a rowdy classroom.
<Major> chooses who is #2 or #3 that day by sharing
with the higher statused horse.

Fun to watch.  Ultimately, we humans maintain our
position as herd boss.  No, we don't use violence, but
we do carry a loud voice!  When Major rules the herd,
he sets the ground rules.  When we're working with
them, our decisions supercede those of any of the
horses.  We do this with quickly interpreting their
body language and responding fast!  We use body
language that they will understand.  Standing big,
frowning & scowling, and saying things in a nasty,
loud voice = ears back, snarling, squealing.  Boy do
they listen up!  As soon as the episode is over, we're
back to normal interactions.

The intensity of the "growl" is based on what they did
or threatened to do.  I've seen one of our boys simply
think about doing something evil, then immediately
pull back a think about it.  You can imagine him
running the consequences over in his mind & deciding
that ticking off mom or dad is not a good idea.

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
Bruceton Mills, WV