RC: Re: Stallion behavior

OK, I've got to weigh in on this stallion behavior issue.  I dearly love
stallions.  I've ridden stallions in distance competition since I was 15
years old, as well as in various and sundry other endeavors.  I've raised
some from babyhood, and I've acquired others with whatever baggage (good or
bad) that they came with.  We currently stand five geriatric stallions and
have a handful of adolescent ones, too.  The last few years I've dealt a
great deal with other people's stallions (several breeds) a great deal in
breeding situations as well, as I've been the stallion handler at a breeding
station.  So--I think I can safely say that I've "been there, done that."

First of all, a certain amount of disposition is innate.  You can literally
tell when a colt is born whether he is going to be a challenge or not.  A
great deal of this is hereditary, and if he is truly a bad apple, IT AIN'T
WORTH IT!!  No matter what other attributes he may have, get the knife out,
get it out fast, and don't look back.

Secondly, you can make a good colt into a bad stallion if you mishandle him.
I'd like to make a few comments on what has been said, and add a few of my
own.

The Number One reason for bratty colts, IMO, is not a discipline problem but
a socialization problem.  Stallion prospects are all too often weaned and
isolated, never learning herd dynamics, and that there are horses out there
bigger and badder than they are.  In past years, my colts all went in with
pregnant mares who were fairly alpha from weaning time up until they were
about two.  They figured out very fast that their place on the totem pole was
subterranean, and they learned to say "Yes, ma'am" and "No, ma'am" about
virtually everything.  Furthermore, they learned that they can actually LIVE
with horses without it being a breeding situation--a very important lesson
when you get out in public with them under saddle when they are four!  My
setup now is no longer conducive to running colts with pregnant mares, but
since I now have multiple colts growing up, we've switched to a bachelor
band.  I have two 7-year-old stallions who run together, and they babysit two
coming 4-year-olds and two coming 3-year-olds.  Yes, there is some
roughhousing out there--boys are boys.  But it is all done in play, no one
gets hurt, and they are all respectful.  (Except one--and I'll tell his story
later.)  Furthermore, all of our older stallions live in nose-touching
proximity to other horses--some with other stallions across the fence, and
others with mares across the fence.  They are also all OUT--none live cooped
up in stalls.  All can buck and kick and fart and play at their own choosing,
so they DON'T have to take pent-up energy out on people.

Discipline is Number Two.  The first thing you do with any horse (no matter
the gender) is establish the rules.  And as various posters have said, you
need to do this with brains, not brawn.  Mary Anne from Egypt makes a good
point about looking at how people raise their sons.  The first thing you do
in establishing the rules is that you don't make breaking them the most
tempting or the easiest thing to do.  With the mouthing problem (which was
what started this thread), prevention is a great deal easier than a cure.
Some colts DO have more of a tendency to be mouthy than others.  For those
colts, I don't mind giving them a toy (traffic cones are great) that they can
play with on THEIR time in THEIR space.  But to avoid becoming a toy
yourself, DON'T be fiddling with their faces, and DON'T be constantly placing
yourself in a physical position where the easiest thing to do is to mouth
you.  When you must groom faces (keep it to a minimum), do so quickly,
firmly, and with a minimum of carressing and emotion.  DON'T feed treats by
hand until a horse is mature, well-broke, and set in his ways with GOOD
manners.  Most times colts will start with tentative attempts to mouth--often
you can simply avoid them and they lose interest because you haven't made it
a game.  DON'T try to punish their faces--that DOES make it a game.  Watch
how horses interact--especially mares and foals.  When someone comes up and
is mouthy, do they punish each other's faces?  NO!  They attack and go for
the body.  John Lyons makes a good point with his 3-second rule, but the
message I get from JL is not that you have 3 seconds in which to try to kill
him, but rather 3 seconds in which to make him wish he were dead.  Think
about it--there is a difference in those two statements.  A broodmare who is
mouthed inappropriately by a naughty baby does that 3-second discipline.  She
flattens her ears, bares her teeth, becomes bigger than life with aggressive
posture, and ATTACKS!  She goes for the body or the butt.  Robert Miller is
one of the best ones for teaching body language--if you're not sure how to do
it, get some of his tapes.  But in short--when a colt crosses the line and
breaks the rules, IMMEDIATELY become "big" (arms in the air, aggressive
expression, etc.), YELL, and ATTACK--you can effectively "bite" his body with
your hands or whatever.  A pop with a crop is ok, too, if you have one, but
you need not administer a "whipping" as such.  The colt will startle and step
back from you--at which point you've achieved your discipline and you
IMMEDIATELY revert to your nice guy persona because he has stepped back out
of your space.  The 3-second rule is important because if more than 3 seconds
elapses between cause and effect, he will no longer associate the punishment
with the action that he performed on you, and you are simply being an
irrational bully in his mind--not a concept you want him to think about.

So what do you do with a spoiled one?  Boy, they can be a challenge, and boy,
do I have one!  I have a coming four-year-old stallion who was orphaned at
birth.  I had hired help at the time, and despite my protests, he was SPOILED
ROTTEN from the git go.  He now thinks people are his species, and being full
of adolescent hormones, he thinks that what he should do is tease them like
mares.  The bachelor band has helped him a lot.  It's tough, though, because
virtually EVERYONE who comes on the place thinks he is so "cute" and goes
right up to pet his head.  (I am about ready to post a sign that I will
amputate their arms if they do so!)  I DO carry a whip around this colt when
he is loose, simply to be able to enforce the fact that I am the alpha mare,
and he HAS learned to respect that.  He is now started under saddle--he was
very frustrating to the trainer, because he thought attempts at groundwork
were amorous advances, and responded accordingly.  We tried a physical
approach, but he thinks that fighting him and whipping him is just a game,
and he is ready for more!  After much discussion, the trainer finally agreed
to just saddle him up and ride off.  That finally did the trick--the colt
never bucked, and seemed thrilled to have a job.  He DOES have an innately
good disposition--just spoiled by wrong handling and circumstances.  He is
now MUCH better to handle on the ground, although we have a pretty specific
drill--I DO go in with the whip, but he is getting much better about backing
down to threatening body language.  Once haltered, he is now a pretty good
boy to handle.  So--I have high hopes that we are on the road to recovery
here, and that this colt can continue to keep his cojones.  (Quite frankly, I
think he would have been tough as a gelding, too--just without the sexual
overtones.  But he desperately wants to please, and that will be his saving
grace in the long run, IMO.)

The bottom line with spoiled colts or stallions is that one must analyze WHAT
is wrong in each individual case, and devise a thoughtful solution to each
individual problem.  Whoever said that brains must be employed here is
right--there is no future in picking physical fights with stallions.  I don't
mind carrying a crop--it is a great arm extender, and hence a helpful aid in
enforcement, but "whipping" per se is an invitation to disaster--about like
telling a drunk redneck in the bar that his pick-up truck is wimpy.  And if
you DO need to use a crop, use it ONCE and back off--you've made your point!

In closing, when handling a stallion, you have to be three jumps ahead of him
mentally at ALL times, and have eyes in the back of your head.  You need to
know where EVERY horse is around him at all times, and you need to keep his
attention on YOU.  With all my stallions, we do little attention drills when
we are in public--and they are very subtle.  When standing in a vet line, if
the horse next to us moves, I'll give the stallion a little "ahem!" under my
breath and just a tiny wiggle on the lead, just to remind him that I am the
one on whom he must keep his undivided attention.  When someone swings a butt
into his nose, no need to make a scene--simply give him an order to turn an
eighth of a turn immediately, before he has an opportunity to respond to that
butt, and keep his focus on YOU.  Same thing at water tanks--there you are,
mounted, with your stallion drinking, and a bunch of others shoulder in to
drink next to you.  A subtle tweak of the reins and a bit of a tightening of
your seat will remind him that he is on business, and that you are in charge.
 Of course, I'm talking about the experienced stallion here--would not expect
perfect compliance with a green boy, but when riding a green boy, you let
others around you know that you are in training mode, and you firmly move
away before your green boy gets a chance to start anything.  He has to know
that EVERYTHING he does is with your blessing when you are on his back or on
the lead--eating, drinking. or whatever.  Be sane about such things--don't
tease and withhold--but always make a point to "release" him to food or water
so that he gets the idea.  But just like driving in heavy traffic--be AWARE
of everything going on around you at ALL times, and make sure to reinforce
the fact that his attention has to be on YOU every time there is a potential
distraction.

Heidi