RC: stallion,mare,gelding, any horse's behavior :)

I agree with you, I once heard a famous trainer say: "You either are going
to take more time, or put more pressure" on a horse to train him.  So the
trainer usually doesn't have the "more time" as we do because he is getting
paid to get fast results for an impatient owner....so he puts on more
pressure. Pressure being whips, spurs, and all sorts of training
devices.  On the other hand, we have the time and grace to give the horse a
comfort zone.  Sometimes, however, you are right--you can't outpull 1100
pounds of disagreement!

At 01:02 AM 1/17/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi, I just wanted to put in my 2 cents once again.
>I noticed some people talking about how they had to whip their horses to get
>them to change their behavior.  And then there are the people who would never
>even yell at their horses.  hmmmm, a wide variety out there.  I have come to
>find that horses respond the best when you make them think that your way is
>the best.
>For example: A horse is in the arena and is all spooky and maybe starts to
>balk.  What I would do is allow the horse to stand still(what he wants to do)
>only in the spot that scares him.  He figures out that moving is better and
>that the "monster" spot is not so bad.  Seems to work for me anyways--people
>have different methods.
>*Anyways... getting to the point.  Horses don't need to be beat but I also
>don't thing some people realize how big these animals are.  You aren't going
>to get them to stop being bad with a gentle soothing tone.  If a horse won't
>stand still and I am holding him (by a lead rope, not in my arms.)  :)  I
>give him  a quiet zone where he can stand still and I won't bother him but if
>he moves, I get after him. by that I mean yanking on the lead rope and being
>angry with him(i don't know, its hard to explain).When he moves back to his
>"zone", I leave him alone and tell him he is a good boy.   He learns that his
>quiet zone is the only place he can be where I will be the nice person he
>likes so much
>JUST MY TWO CENTS...please don't yell at me or fight with me through e-mail
>:)
>*also keep in mind that I am not some famous trainer,  just a normal person
>with my methods that I have inherited from other experienced horsey people.
>Thanks for reading my babbling
>-Renee

Nancy DuPont, Executive Director
Heritage Trails
1350 Castle Rock Road
Walnut Creek, CA 94598

Our Mission: To preserve and protect trails and answer the question, "Where
are you going to ride your horses, and where are you going to keep them."
Telephone (925)937-7661 FAX (925) 943-7431