RC: Aussie Saddles

I purchased my Patrol Poley Aussie saddle from the Australian Stock
Saddle Co. in Oct. 1997. I used it lightly for the following year and
decided I liked the Sports Saddle better, (besides, the Aussie SWAM on
my then 3YO), bought the SS, cleaned up the Aussie real good, fixed the
billets (which rats had chewed through) and put it up for sale.

In the meantime, my filly grew, I started her under saddle and quickly
discovered the disadvantages of the SS. Not wanting the kid to get
"cinchy", I didn't girth her up real tight. Despite using a
breastcollar, I found myself sitting on the rigging more than once after
a big spook. Also, sometimes trail rides still turn into trail "leads"
when we head out alone and things are just too spooky for her to bear.
So, I got out the Aussie saddle. Behold, it fit her perfectly. Didn't
have to girth it up tight and the tree allowed me to get on and off on
trail as well as preventing spinning.

Mind you, *I* like the Aussie saddle. (Comfy and secure) My horse
prefers the SS. (Those ears tell all despite lack of sore spots and a
good sweat pattern.) I hope the trail "leading" stops before my mare
grows out of it!

I think it's perfectly broken in at this point. The leather is
wonderful. I've seen the cheapy Aussie saddles and I agree with whomever
said to try to buy a used one with good leather if you can't afford new.
Didn't know about the tanning method used in India.

Deanna