RC: Re: Re: BRAND INSPECTION IN CALIFORNIA (long)

In a message dated 1/16/00 10:19:37 AM Pacific Standard Time,
bluwolf@earthlink.net writes:

<< Not that I plan to travel from WV to NM anytime soon, but there are no
 brand inspections in the East.  Only one of my horses are
 freeze-branded.  What would I do besides carrying registration papers
 and health documents? >>

It has been my experience that most authorities are content that you have
SOME way to identify that you own the horse.  And most are far more concerned
that you have appropriate health papers.  If you actually LIVE in a state
that requires brand inspection, then arguably you should have one, but the
purpose of brand inspection is to prevent theft, and if you have no
opportunity to have a brand inspection (such as those of you who live in
eastern states), then your best bet is exactly what you've described--a copy
of registration papers in your name, including the description/markings
portion, and current health documents.

Heidi