RC: slant load vs straight load

David here -

At 09:14 AM 1/16/00 PST, Nancy Mitts wrote:
>Jennifer,
>In our experience that "airiness" is what makes horses want to ride
>backwards. While horses sometimes like to face into the wind, it is
>important that they be able to get their faces out of it too, it can really
>dry their eyes & cause irritation.

That would explain it.

>I would also caution people that trailers at the inexpensive end of the
>scale are the ones we see too often for repairs. (Such as bent axles, broken
>floor supports, etc.).

That's a good caution - the Ponderosa's wiring just screams "cheap", and
the paint comes off way too easily.  We also had to take some silicone
caulking to the roof seams.  However, we've had no problems with the axles
or the floor, nor have our 2 friends who have the same model.  Given that
you can get a new one for $3500, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to
anyone who is just starting out and can't afford to spend $10,000 and up on
a trailer.  I've also never seen a horse give us a hard time about getting
in it.  I'm dreaming of a nice Featherlite, but I think I've gotten my
money's worth out of the Ponderosa.  The salesman said it was the VW Bug of
horse trailers, and I'd tend to agree.

David LeBlanc
dleblanc@mindspring.com