Re: RC: Stallion-Colt

At 02:54 PM 7/21/00 -0700, Mike wrote:
I have been advised that he should be run with a barron or old mare in the paddack so that he learns some etiqutte. If he is kept yarded and stabled and only bought out to serve he will become very agressive.
Any comments and recommendations ?

We have a colt who just turned 3.  He's been living for the past two years with a 27 year old mare who isn't cycling any more but was two years ago; his sire (who isn't interested in breeding any more), a 27 year old gelding and a 6 year old half sister who is recovering from an injury are all living in a pen right next to him and a 4 year old gelding lives part time in another pen on the other side.  When Koko is turned out on the 70 acres, it is with his sire, the older mare & the young gelding.  He plays with the gelding (I want to encourage play as long as it is possible) and doesn't mess at all with the other two.  Last year he had 3 older and experienced broodmares in with his current "girlfriend" and mentor mare.

So far this is working out well.  Koko absolutely does not mess with a mare or even pay more than superficial attention to one without invitation.  He has been bred to 4 mares in his life so far and has been a perfect gentleman - and he is a sweetheart to handle.  His sire, Ben Nasrif, wasn't like that till much later in life (we got him when he was 8 and he was a monster), but then in Nas' youth he was treated the "traditional" way - locked in a stall and treated like a dangerous beast.  So that's what he became.

Horses learn a lot from other horses - it's such a simple, natural and easy way to teach them so much!  Lif

Lif & Paul Strand
  STRAND ENTERPRISES fasterhorses.com
providing you with alternatives for your life
Web Page Design * Computer Graphics * Internet Research * Fine Art
Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options
Arabian Horses for Distance Riding
fax: (561) 594-4609