RE:fell off at Cougar rock

Jonni <jonnij@earthlink.net>
>>>Mistakes?  Yeah, several, but the biggest was not going around the rock.
That changed the nature of our ride and we never recovered from it.<<<

I am not going to defend the condition of the surface of cougar rock. It probabally needs the workers to go up and jack hammer it again. (they do that every few years) But I want to say, we compete in a sport of circumstance and luck. Some good, some bad. It is very unfortunate Ranger took such a bad fall off the rock, but fortunate you were able to climb back on and ride. Last year, Debby Lyon was air lifed out. She took a fall well before the rock. Bad luck and circumstance. Another horse as we know, went off over the side near Deadwood this year. Bad luck and circumstance. This is a tough ride. One of the toughest in the nation, if not the world. Crap happens. We try to make good choices, and hope the luck and circumstance that comes into play is good, not bad. We can always look back at situations, and see what we could have done different. It may or may not have changed the outcome. I think the good that came out of this is that your unprotected head did not suffer more, and now you have added a helmet to your trailer at all times. Personally, I am such a helmet fanatic, I would have begged, borrowed, or bought a new one when I realized mine was home. (except I have kept a spare in my trailer for years)

Oh, and as far as going around the rock? A friend who has been over the rock 20 or so times, decided to by pass this year Her horse took one look at the drop off beside him on the by pass trail, spooked at it and slammed her knee into the side of the "rock" they were by passing causing much pain, blood and bruises. So see, bad luck & circumstance for going around the darn thing can happen too.

Jonni