Re: Re: hoof puncture comfort

The very high ionic strength of Epsom Salt causes water to be drawn out of
the area soaked and into the soaking solution.  This also encourages puss,
bacteria and general filth to be removed also.

Soaking punctures, cuts etc. was very common before the invention of
antibiotics.  We tend to forget the good traditional remedies.  Another
standard soaking method is to use water with some detergent and mild
antiseptic.  "Germaseptic Dreft" was my old family favorite.  In this case
the detergent helps the water to penetrate, helps the removal of bacteria
and filth.

By the way Epsom Salt mixed with detergent won't work.  The large amounts of
Magnesium ions will prevent the detergent from working.

Ed and Wendy Hauser
1140 37th St.
Hudson, WI 54016
sisufarm@mmmpcc.org