Re: RC: Tevis - Slower riders

Tivers,
    Maybe I should make myself and the way we ride clearer at this point.  We
don't do World Record finishes at any distances.  Our goals are more like
doing miles at a reasonable pace to either finish well in the placing or to
just finish, day after day with the same horse.  Our horses tell us what they
want to do.  After all, when you ride a horse for over 3 years and over 4000
miles you can read your horse.
    That is what is so wonderful about endurance riding.  There is something
for everyone on any scale you choose.  We choose the continual mileage
programs on the same horse for years in the past and the years in the future.
    I used to go for the win in the past and did just that.  Ask anyone in my
area (PS) but I've found a new challenge.  Ride that horse for miles and keep
care of it.  This is a whole new adventure for us, it is not an easy one.
Guess what, I have to get on that horse the next day and the next day, so
on...
    It is a whole different type of competition of maybe what you have been
asked to research (maybe?).  As for working with some of the top Nat'l or
InterNat'l horses, well your talking to an owner of one right now.  The Horse
"Ima Liberated Lady" our other one is "Katie Bar The Door".
    Thank you for your input.  I realize that I was trying to make the Tevis
work for us this year without a completion.  But did make 94 miles and after
4 hours of my horse eating back at camp...the next morning she was fine and
prancing & bucking at the end of her lead.  I felt at this time, we did
great!  My horse recovered, sound and feeling good, in less than 12 hours
after!  As for my vet scores, in case anyone wants to know, this horse
actually scored better than the full brother that we rode together with, all
the way through the ride.  All A's until Francisco's then A's & B's, (except
the hind foot thing, that was a C and the only C).  The other horse "Rett
Butler" finished.  Hmm...maybe just the stress of the hind that did it on
Lady, who knows at this point.
    I think that with her lack of food, that this horse is used to, she did
have plenty at the two VC's, she just was out of brain food.  She did not at
anytime act in anyway tired other than the normal...I have done 94 miles
stuff.
    Thanks everyone for your support and all I want is for this to never
happen again, for any other horse even if I'm there or not at the Tevis or at
any other ride.

Tammy Robinson
Trail-Rite Ranch & Products
661/513-9269