Re: RC: Re: Re: Re: Re: uh-oh, Insulted Farrier

In a message dated 7/19/00 5:32:03 AM Pacific Daylight Time, cyclone@snet.net
writes:

<<  And discipline should come from the handler
 (us owners) so as to *help* the farrier and *prevent* bad  behavior.  That's
 how you get a good shoeing job. >>

SHOULD come from the handler--I agree!  But having been on the "receiving"
end of such misbehavior myself from time to time, I can tell you that the
vast majority of "handlers" have NO clue how to read their horses (and thus
be able to avert really bad behavior in most cases), and NO clue how or when
to administer discipline on the occasions when it IS needed.  Endurance folks
are a nice group with which to deal, as most spend enough time getting to
know their horses that they do a reasonably good job.  But I can assure
you--the ratio is reversed in the population at large!

Heidi